Volunteers are the heartbeat of our organization
Volunteers help us provide compassionate hospitality by lifting the spirits and brightening the days of our families. Various volunteer opportunities are listed below with descriptions.
**Due to the pandemic, many volunteer jobs have been paused. House and Family Room volunteers must show proof of COVID vaccination to resume volunteering. For more information on available jobs, contact Volunteer Services Coordinator, Tonya West.
Ways You Can Volunteer
**We only offer required volunteer hours to high school and college students.**
**You must be 16 years or older to fill out the volunteer application and volunteer.**
House Volunteers play an important role in the day-to-day operations of the Ronald McDonald House®. They provide administrative support, help keep our House clean and tidy, offer family support and greet families with smiles and listening ears.
House volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum one 3-hour shift per month and to serve as a vital point of contact for families when they have questions or needs.
Family Room Volunteers
The Family Room is located inside Children’s Hospital (3rd floor near the F elevators). It is staffed Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. by volunteers. **Due to the pandemic, hours and services at the Family Room are limited and may vary depending on hospital guidelines.
Family Room volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of one 3-hour shift per month and are required to complete the Erlanger Volunteer Program requirements. Volunteers must be 18 or older to work in the Ronald McDonald Family Room. Family Room volunteers help:
- Ensure that visitors are well taken care of and made to feel at home
- Help people register at the front desk
- Tidy up the kitchen
- Replenish snacks and food
- Interact with the visitors
The goal of the Adopt-A-Meal Program is to help sustain families staying at the Ronald McDonald House of Chattanooga by providing an evening meal, so that each family can concentrate on their hospitalized child.
Adopt-a-Meal Volunteer details:
- Often these volunteer groups are families, churches, school groups, or community organizations
- Volunteers use the Ronald McDonald House pantry or bring their own supplies to cook for as many as 60 people
- The evening meal is served to resident families each day at 6:00 p.m.
- While the evening meal is always provided, there are sometimes opportunities to provide breakfast and lunch to the families.
Dinner Host Volunteers
The Dinner Host works with the Adopt-A-Meal group in the evening to make sure they have all the supplies they need, drinks are available, and food is stored properly after the meal. This shift is 5:00-8:00 p.m. and provides great interaction with guests of Ronald McDonald House during the evening meal.
Kitchen Refresher Volunteers
For the position of the RMHC Kitchen Refresher, job duties include the following:
- Preparation for restocking of the “Help Yourself” Kitchen by filling daily snack bins and condiment bags.
- Inventory of the Great Kitchen cabinets, snacks, and condiments.
- Day to day cleaning out of the refrigerators and unloading of the dishwashers.
- Other responsibilities involve food preparation.
- Making 36 sandwiches daily and making individual meals out of leftovers whenever possible.
- Working with the office volunteers to individually wrap the donated baked goods that are delivered 3 times a week.
Special Event Volunteers
RMHC of Greater Chattanooga hosts various fundraising events each year; Day of Change, Golf Classic and the Autumn Children’s Festival to name a few. Volunteers are needed to help with setup, registration and other event related tasks.